Learn React Fundamentals 🆓 and Advanced Patterns ⚛️ 🎁
December 04, 2017
Artwork for egghead.io is created by the amazing Maggie_Appleton
Two and a half hours of new beginner (free) and advanced React material are now available egghead.io!
I couldn't be more excited to introduce you to what I can call my best work to date: Two new video courses available now on egghead.io! The beginner material is free forever and the advanced stuff is worth a subscription so I encourage you to give them a look!
- Introduction to The Beginner's Guide to ReactJS (2:07)
- Write Hello World with raw React APIs (3:24)
- Use JSX with React (5:48)
- Create Custom React Components (5:15)
- Validate Custom React Component Props with PropTypes (3:30)
- Conditionally Render A React Component (2:43)
- Rerender a React Application (3:17)
- Style React Components (5:36)
- Use Event Handlers with React (3:42)
- Use Component State with React (7:09)
- Stop Memory Leaks with componentWillUnmount Lifecycle Method in React(1:14)
- Use Class Components with React (4:16)
- Manipulate the DOM with React refs (2:23)
- Make Basic Forms with React (3:35)
- Make Dynamic Forms with React (3:42)
- Controlling Form Values with React (8:48)
- Use the key prop when Rendering a List with React (4:29)
- Make HTTP Requests with React (3:29)
- Build and deploy a React Application (3:02)
Each lesson in this course is just a single
index.html file which will help
you keep your focus on learning React and not distracted by all the tools that
make production applications work. The course wraps up with a lesson on how to
move from these
index.html files to a more production ready development
environment and even how to deploy your app to a great service like
- Introducing Advanced React Component Patterns (1:44)
- Build a Toggle Component (2:01)
- Write Compound Components (4:06)
- Make Compound React Components Flexible (4:01)
- Make Enhanced React Components with Higher Order Components (3:22)
- Handle prop namespace clashes with Higher Order Components (3:47)
- Improve debuggability of Higher Order Components (4:43)
- Handle ref props with Higher Order Components (2:54)
- Improve Unit Testability of Higher Order Components (2:45)
- Handle static properties properly with Higher Order Components (3:02)
- Use Render Props with React (5:25)
- Use Prop Collections with Render Props (2:05)
- Use Prop Getters with Render Props (6:12)
- Use Component State Initializers (2:46)
- Make Controlled React Components with Control Props (4:06)
- Implement a React Context Provider (6:47)
- Implement a Higher Order Component with Render Props (1:52)
- Rerender Descendants Through shouldComponentUpdate (3:19)
- Use Redux with Render Props (6:49)
The goal of this course is to give you the knowledge of advanced patterns you
can use to make React components that are more flexible, simpler, and more fun
to build, use, and maintain. We'll start with a simple
<Toggle /> component
which we'll progressively refactor to each of the patterns so you can see the
relative trade-offs of the patterns and how they can be used together to
increase the usefulness of your component while at the same time simplifying
things for everyone.
Having built and shipped components using each of these patterns, I'll help you understand and weigh the tradeoffs of each of them and you'll come to intuitively know where to apply each pattern in your own components. When you're finished with this course, hopefully you'll have a list of actionable things you can do to rework the components that you're building to make them more flexible, simpler, and more fun to build, use, and maintain.
The Beginner's course is joining the ever growing egghead.io "Community Resources" which means it will be free forever! I'm totally amazed by egghead and all the free stuff they sponsor. Thank you egghead!!
The Advanced course was free for a week but is now used to fund egghead's community resources by converting to subscriber-only content. Now's the best time to get a pro account. egghead very rarely does sales, but it's running one right now! For a limited time, you can get an egghead subscription for 30% off. See egghead.io/gifts for more information.
I've made a twitter moment with some reactions to the courses. Here are some of my personal favorites:
I just finished up @kentcdodds's `Advanced React Patterns` videos on @eggheadio. I'm pretty sure I learned something in every video. Thanks Kent!— DELPRETE (@AndrewDelPrete) December 4, 2017
Achievement Unlocked -- ⭐️ Super Duper https://t.co/H7XlAYljsq
If you want to learn @reactjs / improve your skills, you should check out the free @eggheadio courses by @kentcdodds - he's not only a nice guy but also a great teacher! 3 x more binge-worthy than Netflix 💪 https://t.co/qzVr7REjLz— Leo Ijebor (@leoijebor) December 4, 2017
Really enjoying the way @kentcdodds explains things in "The Beginner's Guide to ReactJS" on @eggheadio. Definitely helping cement topics as I try to learn react quickly. Thanks for the awesome free course!https://t.co/xuyhIyaYJs— Michelle 🚀 (@MichelleJLevine) December 6, 2017
TFW you've been programming for two decades and think "yeah I probably know everything in @kentcdodds's advance react course already" then you watch it and go "shit... that's actually a really good tip" 🤔 #humbling #AlwaysBeLearning— rustipedia (@rossipedia) December 6, 2017
Why @kentcdodds ‘ recent videos are the best:— John Darryl Pelingo 🇵🇭🇬🇷🇩🇪 (@john_lyrrad) December 7, 2017
- Just react.
- No configuration. Just fire up an index.html with script tags just like the old days.
Go watch it people while you all can!https://t.co/cVYuqz7GBa
Great courses, Kent! Already justified my recent @eggheadio renewal.— Andrej Kyselica (@andrejpk) December 7, 2017
my fav. video was about 'keys'— Deen John (@deen_john) December 7, 2017
it was very thorough.At the end of the video, you showed the 'no-key' , 'index' , 'with-key' input focus examples on same page which cleared all doubts
This video :https://t.co/VM7BLUw0PF
The react router source code I had been trying to wrap my head around just became clearer after watching @kentcdodds advanced react component patterns video. I just became smarter all of a sudden lol 🙏— Tolulope (@afrocode_) December 7, 2017
I just finished @kentcdodds "Advanced React Component Patterns" course. I feel as if a wizard has shared all their sage battle proven techniques with me. You should definitely check it out: https://t.co/16qJ8wksM3— Jonathan Spengeman (@jspengy) December 7, 2017
I'm really excited by all these positive responses! Thanks everyone!
I can't tell you how excited I am for you to watch these things! If you learn anything or enjoy the courses, I would ask you to do any of the following:
- Become an egghead.io subscriber to help support the community resources and get access to the 2500+ videos already on there!
- Tweet this blog post! Or retweet my tweet about it :)
- Upvote and discuss this blog post and the courses on Reddit
- Follow me on twitter to keep up with what I work on next
- Subscribe to my weekly newsletter 💌
- Write a blog post about your experience watching my courses!
⚛️🎁⚛️🎁⚛️🎁⚛️🎁⚛️🎁⚛️🎁⚛️🎁⚛️🎁⚛️🎁— Kent C. Dodds (@kentcdodds) December 4, 2017
Here's my big announcement!
My @eggheadio courses have been published and are totally FREE!
“Learn React Fundamentals and Advanced Patterns”https://t.co/ZopBeSrFVu
Thanks everyone! And Merry Christmas! 🎁 🎄